Vitamin B6 Injection - 100 mg/ml
This Vitamin B6 shot (pyridoxine) is necessary for protein metabolism, energy production and normal nervous system function. Vitamin B-6 is involved in nearly 60 enzyme systems in the body. It is necessary for normal growth, red blood cell synthesis and vitamin B-12 absorption.
Indications and Usage:
Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Injection is effective for the treatment of pyridoxine deficiency as seen in the following:
- Inadequate dietary intake.
- Drug-induced deficiency, as from insoniazid (INH) or oral contraceptives. Inborn errors of metabolism, e.g., vitamin-B6 depended convulsions or vitamin-B6 responsive anemia.
- The parenteral route is indicated when oral administration is not feasible as in anorexia, nausea and vomiting , and preoperative conditions. It is also indicated when gastrointestinal adsorption is impaired.
A history of sensitivity to pyridoxine or to any of the ingredients in the product is a contraindication
- Single deficiency, as of pyridoxine alone, is rare. Multiple vitamin deficiency is to be expected in an inadequate diet. Patients treated with levodopa should avoid supplemental vitamins that contain more than 5 mg pyridoxine in the daily dose.
- Women taking oral contraceptives may exhibit increased pyridoxine requirements
Pyridoxine supplements should not be given to patients receiving levodopa, because the action of the latter drug is antagonized by pyridoxine. However, this vitamin may be used concurrently in patients receiving a preparation containing both carbidopa and levodopa.
Use in Pregnancy-Pregnancy category A:
The requirement for pyridoxine appears to be increased during pregnancy. Pyridoxine is something of value in the treatment of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy
The need for pyridoxine is increased during lactation. It is not known whether this drug is excreted in human milk. Because many drugs are excreted in human milk, caution should be exercised when it is administered to a nursing woman.
Usage in Children:
Safety and effectiveness in children have not been established
Paresthesia, somnolence, and low serum folic acid levels have been reported
Pyridoxine hydrochloride injection, USP, 100 mg/mL, is available in multiple dose vials of 30 mL individually boxed.
Store at controlled room temperature 15℃ - 30℃ (59℉ - 86℉). Do not freeze. Protect from light.